Get A quick quote

How easy is it to apply for approval through Councils and Shires

Here at Sea Containers WA, we deliver a lot of containers out to residential properties.
One of our most frequently asked question is “Will the council allow the container to be on my property?” and our answer is generally “Each council is different, so we suggest speaking with your local shire prior to arranging the delivery of a sea container.”

Well, we decided to do a bit of research of our own to find out the rules/regulations within a few different councils. Below is the information that we have found.

City of Fremantle
A permit may be required if placing on the property, as it may cause obstruction.
The City of Fremantle suggests contacting their Planning Department prior to placing any Sea Containers, as it is all dependant on the property itself.
For more information, pleasevisit the City of Fremantle website or call 08 9432 9999

City of Canning
The City of Canning does not allow sea containers to be placed on the verge, and will not issue permits for this.
However, sea containers may be able to be placed on your property, following the guidelines of the City of Canning.
For the guidelines and more information, please visit the City of Canning website or call 1300 422 664

City of Joondalup
The City of Joondalup advises that the permanent use of a sea container is not acceptable in Residential, Special Residential, Mixed Use, Urban Development, Civic & Cultural, and Rural zones under any circumstance.
Temporary use of a sea container may be acceptable in any zone without planning approval, whether on the verge or private property, provided the following is adhered to.

  • The container is only to be used for a maximum of 7 days, for the loading/unloading of goods.
  • The container has to be placed as to not obscure vehicle sightlines
  • A formal request is received and a letter of approval is issued from the City for the temporary use

For more information, please visit the City of Joondalup website or call 08 9400 4000

Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale 

  • The Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale allows a maximum of 7 days use of sea containers, for the loading and unloading of goods only. A written request identifying the nature and period of use is required by the shire prior.

The sea container must be positioned as not to obscure vehicle sightlines.
For the guidelines and more information, please visit the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale website or call 08 9526 1111

This information is to be used as a guide only. Please always check with your local Shire prior to placing a sea container on your property.